Frequency Festival

Frequency_logo

Frequency Festival of Digital Culture is a biennial festival hosted in the city of Lincoln, providing a platform to celebrate the pioneering spirit of digital innovation and culture through exhibition, creative collision and debate.

I decided to conduct some primary research by attending on the first day of the festival, and see what frequency had to offer, and to see whether there was any information I could used towards my project, for inspiration.

The Festival Trail – Log Book (Assemble)

The first instillation I visited was the Log Book. This was a living installation of hewing logs to celebrate the beauty and craft required house raw timber. This piece of work was highly interesting, however, this is a piece that I do not think has any reference to the work I will be doing. I understand the feature of culture throughout this piece, therefore, perhaps I could look into the culture of design, and see what is out there to give me influence and inspiration.

The Festival Trail – Apparatus Florious (Tom Dekyvere)

This instillation shows the fusion and obstruction of geometric patterns that grow in and through one another. This was the second instillation I went to go see and was more interesting for me. The use of light in this piece of work is interesting and could be useful for me project. The rope in-between the wooden structure is lit up by lights in several places of the Cobb Hall in Lincoln Castle. This project demonstrates how light bounces and reflects off different sections of the structure, useful for when I’m thinking about lighting my piece of work.

The Festival Trail – Future Body (Jake Moore)

Future Body presents five audio-visual installations, which consider the inadequacy of the human form in the face of our increasingly ever-present technological world. This instillation I visited used projection mapping and LED screens with an audio elements to set the tone. This piece of work could prove useful to me as it incorporates design with visual effects. When I am thinking about advertising my collection, I need to consider aesthetic design in a minimalistic environment to attract consumers.

The Festival Trail – Worldless (Tony Richards, David Mcsherry & Steve Judge)

This spooky installation, based around the abandoned Japanese theme park Nara Dreamland, imagines a time when everything has fallen in war and has worn away into the universal ash. This installation was more of a story base with great art direction and sound colour correction. Colour correction is an element in this piece that I can take away, as the outcome was professional and aesthetic, therefore, I can apply this to my work and research what colour grading techniques would be best for my work.

Conclusion

Although these installations seem like they have nothing to do with my project, I can take away some vital information in the form of light, design and colour. These features are important as they make the different between a standard project, and a professional piece of work.